Sunday, January 30, 2011

Puppy Love



Last week my six-year old son told me quite matter-of-factly, "I know who my Valentine is."

"Who?" I asked mirroring his nonchalance but feeling a little smiley inside. I just LOVE when my kids tell me stuff.

"Katelyn," he said, carrying on with his business of playing.

(Please note that Katelyn's name has been changed lest I betray a confidence. I did that ONCE and have wondered ever since if the Earth shifted on its axis and disrupted that son's chance at eternal bliss due to my meddling. So... never again.)

"Who's Katelyn?" I asked. (Still not her real name.)

"Just a girl in my class," he said. (That much is true--I hope I am not tempting Fate here.)

"Oh, what do you like about her?" I asked, maintaining casual inquisitiveness.

"She's nice... and she laughs at me."

"Oh, she thinks you're funny?"

"Yeah."

Like what else matters!?

3 comments:

  1. I've noticed that my favorite people are also the ones who laugh at my jokes, so there must be something going on there. He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could say the very same about Geoff, so I guess I know who my valentine is too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, even if Rob doesn't think I'm funny initially--he thinks I'm funny when I THINK I'm funny, so that's something.

    ReplyDelete