Monday, January 24, 2011

Runners

Do you consider yourself a risk taker? I don't. Not really. Probably one of the reasons I married an accountant instead of a stuntman. Not that I have ever even met a stuntman. Ever.

As one who drives the streets in the wee hours of the morning, I have discovered a fair number of risk takers among a certain breed of people: RUNNERS. They either like to tempt fate or they think they glow in the dark. I can testify that they DO NOT GLOW IN THE DARK!

Let me tell you something about night vision: It isn't as good as day vision... unless your a bat. And most of them are actually blind, so never mind. (Many don't even have eyes; hence the saying, "Blind as a bat." That's no compliment... in case you were wondering.) Assuming that most people's night vision is impaired, why do some people insist on running in dark clothing--in the dark? Perhaps they are planning to run right into the sunrise when the traffic will actually increase and they will suddenly bear a stark contrast to the beams of light cast all about them. Yes, that must be it.

On occasion I will be driving along and a runner will just appear out of nowhere. They were seriously blind to my view until they were right in front of me... to the side. Thankfully, these incognito runners don't run down the middle of the road. The fear, however, is that something would cause me to swerve and I wouldn't have seen the runner prior to swerving.

Speaking of swerving (we were, weren't we?), I didn't swerve once... and hit a skunk. P.U.--that's all I have to say about that.

[OK--maybe not. I just looked up how to spell P.U. (did I just admit that?), because I don't think I have EVER actually written that expression. If you believe everything you read on the internet--which I don't--but if you do, it is "a shortened term for puteo, which is Latin for 'to stink, be redolent, or smell bad.'"]

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: swerving, no--RUNNERS. I should be embarrassed to admit that I am runner who has actually run in the dark darkly--as in, without a light. I just leave and forget to grab my headlight and can't be bothered to go back and get it. For what it's worth, it always makes me feel very vulnerable.

Wow, talk about a RAMBLE! Do you run? Do you take risks? Have you ever swerved... or NOT? What did you hit? What is your opinion of those cool reflective vests that runners sometimes sport? When I see them, I think "Man, there is someone who has something to live for!" What do you suppose that is?

1 comment:

  1. In answer to your questions: Yes I run, but not for exercise. Only when I'm in a hurry. I swerve, and more lately with all the potholes created by the road construction. They will fix those when this is all over, won't they? Before we lose one of our vehicles into them? Actually, the other day I ran into the neighbor across the street. Fortunately, or not, you may decide, we were both in our cars so no bodily damage was done, well the body of her car got a scratch and a wee dent on it (of course they all look "wee" to the one who did the inflicting, I suppose). Since neither of us could see behind us, we both kind of had to take the blame for it. The only reason that our van didn't get any damage is because it's 20 years old and you can't tell, or because it's as big as a tank and the only thing that could hurt it would be, well, a tank, frankly. I think the cool, reflective vests are a great idea for people who don't care if anyone notices their hot pink jogging suit, but I'd never wear them because those awful neon colors totally clash with my outfit. Okay, I don't have one, mine's purple because they didn't have pink the day I was shopping; not that I wear it for running. I think runners live for running, and that they wear those vests so they can get up and do it again the next day. Which is, by the way, a mentality that totally escapes me. And I'm okay with that. :)

    ReplyDelete