Sunday, January 23, 2011

Up and At 'Em!

In February 2009 my children were over at our neighbors' home for the evening when the dad started talking to them about taking over his paper route. (He and his family were moving.) He didn't really expect THEM to do it, but somehow the topic came up. One of my darling children exclaimed, "My mom will do it!" What!? They came home and reported that they had found me a job. How nice. I didn't realize that I was looking.

Actually, there had been one isolated conversation in which I had mention how nice it would be for us to have a paper route as a means for my children to earn some money. Unfortunately, this paper route--due to distance and time constraints--was not the paper route for children under the age of 10.

When the dad spoke to me about it, I ended up agreeing to sub his route for a weekend, see how it went, and then we would go from there. I delivered those newspapers on February 28, 2009 and have been delivering them every since. It's a little crazy, I'll admit and 4:30 is always earliest at, well, 4:30 in the morning!

At first I had reservations about taking the route because of what people might think. After all, I knew what I thought whenever I heard of someone adopting a paper route. Really--who gets up that early in the morning EVERY morning unless they're desperate?

For me, I liked the idea of having a little extra money--of my own. Granted, all of my husband's salary is used to support our family. I understand that there are equity issues. But I knew that if the paper route money was just going to get sucked into a great big vacuum, I would have no incentive to do it. No, I needed it deposited into a separate account where I could watch it grow.

Besides the little extra money, I enjoy having something that compels me to get out of bed. No doubt that makes me a little weak-minded, but I like having something that forces my feet on the floor every morning. My best mornings are those that are jumpstarted with a list of "To Do's" that help me feel like I have made a dent in the world. While I have never been successful at getting up to read, I love getting up to do something physical that gets me moving.

Then once I finish my route, I am awake and I head to the gym. My day is in full swing. It's crazy but it works!

How do you jumpstart your day?

3 comments:

  1. Well, I wouldn't really say that "jump" describes the way I start my day. "Ooze" is probably closer to the right word. Maybe I need a paper route, but winters would do me in, and half of our year is winter here, so there you go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had half the umph you have to get up and just exercise in the morning, much less deliver newspapers. Kudos to you for keeping up with it and to Rob for helping you out.

    ReplyDelete