Saturday, February 5, 2011

Shaking My Booty


This morning my husband and I attended a Pilates class. It was great--totally worth getting out of bed (again) for. When it was over, a friend of mine came in for the Zumba class that immediately followed. That was all it took to possess me to stay.

As people, mostly women, trickled in I asked a woman next to me (on the BACK row), "Is this the area for the rookies?"

"I don't know about rookies, but it is the place for dorks."

Cool. I was ready.

To start off, the teacher asked, "Is anyone NEW?"

Now I figure they do this for two reasons: 1) So everyone attending for purely entertainment purposes knows who to watch and 2) So that the newbies have the opportunity to say, "I KNOW that I don't know what I am doing, so you don't need to feel sorry for me."

With that understanding, I raised my hand. Actually I kind of put it out in front of me so the teacher could see it. I didn't wave it around over my head or anything. No sense in getting the show started earlier than necessary, right?

Later I thought, "Can you only be new once?" If that is the case, then I am TOTALLY not "new" to Zumba--and by raising my hand, I lied. That was actually the third Zumba class I have attended. Ever. Over the course of three years. But if I am not new, I would be interested to know what class my experience bumps me into. Novice probably. Same thing, but at least it SOUNDS a little less new than NEW.

Anyway, Zumba is fun. I won't deny it. But as I "shaked" my booty, or tried to, I realized something. I Zumba like a runner... or an accountant, if that helps paint the picture. My booty shakes are like unto those of a robot, a bit too calculated. Rather rigid. I needed to LOOSEN UP! As this epiphany hit me, I realized that I would do well to learn to shake my booty (a.k.a. "loosen up") a little more in other areas of my life as well.

Sorry, no pictures.

2 comments:

  1. The next time I'm in town, I'll come with you, just to watch you. Then I won't need pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete