Thursday, March 3, 2011

YAAAAAWN!


Our alarm went off at the usual time this morning: 4:26. I immediately went into denial... along with the rest of me. I was so tired. My whole body wanted to disappear into the mattress and never surface. I inwardly begged Rob to say those magical words that would release me to return to that state of blissful slumber: Do-you-want-me-to- do-the-paper-route? Nine simple but beautiful words. True poetry. A pause... A very long pause. My body tensed, not knowing if the words would be forthcoming. Hoping but not daring to hope. Maybe the long pause was just for dramatic emphasis. My body begged for relief... pleeeease?

Finally. FINALLY! The silence was broken. The words were spoken. All nine of them.

"Do you want me to do the paper route?" Poetry, yes.

I paused. Inner turmoil. My shoulder dwellers (who should have been sleeping, I might add) were amazingly alert and attentive for 4:26 in the morning. (Does that even count as morning!?) They insisted on battling this one out. Sigh.

Angel: Just get up. The car is in the shop. You don't want your husband to have to deliver the papers in the VAN--it's a big pain. Plus, in 10 minutes you will be glad you're awake and moving. Besides, didn't you set a secret goal to deliver the papers EVERY day this month? Didn't you? It's only the 2nd day of the month. Now get up. Get up!

Devil: He offered--I heard him! All nine words. Tell him "yes" and roll over. If he didn't want to do it, he wouldn't have offered. This might be your last chance to sleep in. Ever.

It's a wonder I listened to the angel. She is so darn pushy, but I succumbed. She must have been the loudest.

"No, I'm all right," I said (yawned) not very convincingly. Then suddenly my feet were on the floor and I was feeling my way into the bathroom. Even as I stood in the bathroom preparing to don my "uniform" of navy capris, a T-shirt, a sweatshirt, and sneakers I couldn't figure out why I was up. I was SO tired that every right-minded part of me should have said "Yes! Yes, please. Oh, that would mean so much to me!" Apparently, those parts of me were still asleep.

And this morning it took at least 20 minutes for me to be glad I was up. Take that, ANGEL!

No comments:

Post a Comment