Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Little Won't Hurt



On occasion, I have had fellow mothers tell me that they don't have time to read. Really? No time to read? Not even a little bit? My husband would agree with them. In reality I don't really have time to read... but I do it anyway. I find that I have to be somewhat selective, though.

Last night (actually this morning) at 12:30 AM I finally finished reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. All 482 pages of it. I had to stay up and finish it, because I knew sleep would elude me until I did.

I have had my head buried in this book for the better part of a week now. I knew that reading it would be no small task... but I did it anyway. It started innocently enough (as all good temptations do)--I downloaded the sample on my Nook just to see if the subject matter would be of interest. And it was. The next thing I knew I was downloading all 482 pages--and the rest of my week was history. (My dearth of journal entries and blog posts confirm this.) Sigh. The book was one mystery upon another mystery, and if that wasn't enough to keep me turning pages (which it was), the chapters were relatively small (51 chapters in 482 pages) so I could nearly always convince myself that I had time for just one more chapter... "It won't hurt--just a few more pages... It will make you feel good--and probably answer some of your questions." The only redeeming quality of this little temptation is that it eventually comes to an end--until I get the hankering for another fix.

Funny how non-fiction books don't pose the same threat. I can usually set those aside for weeks (or months) with good intentions. In the meantime, they get lost in a stack of "highly recommended" non-fiction that I intend to get around to someday. Whenever someday is.

Since finishing the book, you can probably imagine that I have been at a loss for what to do with my time... besides catching up on all that I have left undone for the better part of the week, I mean. As it turns out, my washer and dryer are still in working order and I suppose I could say the same thing about me. For now.

2 comments:

  1. When mom's say they don't have time for reading, I wonder how much time they spend watching their favorite T.V. shows. I guess It's all about priorities. Me I would choose a good book any day! Thanks for the new read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved, loved, loved this book. The rest of her books are also ones you will have a hard time putting down once you start.

    ReplyDelete